Stunned And Amazed!!!
Monday, March 28, 2005
How Talented Are We?
Over the weekend I heard my friends tell me that they had no talent. I asked them why they felt that way. One of them said "I saw some of my other friends sing and play instruments and I cant do any of that". My other friend said "I was watching a stand up comedy by my friend and I dont have such kinda talent". I realized that I also do not possess any of the above characteristics.

So, are my friends not talented? Am I not talented? I pondered over this and concluded that this is not true. We all have our own set of talents. May be we are not widely acclaimed by others for the talents we possess but that does not mean we are not talented. According to me any skill is a talent:

Programming is a talent.
Managing a committee/group is a talent.
Writing a blog is a talent.
Even being a housewife is a talent.

There are so many talents out there, some noticeable some not, that we sometimes fail to see the talents we possess. Also, the home sapien is never satisfied. He always feels being inferior to his fellow beings. Eg: I cant play the piano and I feel I have no talent. Ask the pianist and he would say "I cant make people laugh and so I have no talent."

The grass on the other side always looks greener. We only look on the other side and fret over our lack of skills. We keep trying to reach the other side and when we do we are still unhappy because we realize that what we have achieved is only a drop in the ocean.

Some may argue that any of the above skills that I mentioned ( a programmer, manager, blogger, housewife etc) anybody could develop/possess. But that is true for any ability you pick. I cannot name one single talent that is possessed by one and only one individual, be it singing, dancing, painting or even being able to walk the moon.

I think all of us should try to look within overselves and understand the innate talents we possess. Does this mean that we just live with the talents we possess and not thrive to acquire new skills. No. I am not saying that but we should feel happy for the abilities we possess because I am sure they are unique in their own special way and somebody out there understands your potential.

To conclude:
Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke
posted by BUS @ 11:17 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 11:25 AM, March 30, 2005, Blogger RS said…

    We are always more anxious to be distinguished for a talent which we do not possess, than to be praised for the fifteen which we do possess - Mark Twain

     
  • At 4:59 PM, March 31, 2005, Blogger kamal said…

    You survived 3 days without blogging ? 29th,30th,31st. I am stunned and amazed !!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: BUS
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

BLOGGER