Stunned And Amazed!!!
Friday, March 18, 2005
A peek at "My Sister's Keeper" By Jodi Picoult
I just finished reading the book "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. I liked it and thought I will write about it. This is not so much of a review of the book as much as it is an expression of what I like/dislike about the book.

The book is about the ethical issues that involve stem cell research and portrays the experiences of a couple (Brian and Sara) who are fighting to keep their one daughter (Kate) alive by using the help of their other daughter (Anna), who was conceived for the very purpose of saving her sister. The characters try to resolve the issue of what should be given more importance: (as is mentioned in the novel) is it "The sanctity of life" or is it "The quality of life". In an attempt to answer this question, the author vividly portrays the turmoil that is going on in the minds of the characters of the novel as to what is the right thing to do.

Things I liked/disliked:

1. This is the first time I am reading a book where the chapters are organized based on the characters and is a first person narration of what he/she is thinking. May be this is an idea used before but this is my first encounter of it and I think it was really different and good. It really helped the author to shape the characters and give them their unique identity.

2. I liked the section of the book where Kate starts dating her fellow hospital mate and the interactions that follow thereafter. How both of them talk about their illness and death as if it is an everyday joke that they are used to. How the nurses and other technicians of the hospital organize a prom for all patients. I was amazed that these people seem to take things in stride and it brought to the forefront the fact that, no matter how sick you are, you want to enjoy life to the fullest.

3. Near the end of the novel, when it is D - day or Judgement day, every character gets up and sees that it is raining cats and dogs outside. They immediately think of the most memorable thing they can associate to the downpour. For example: Brian thinks: "It was raining when Anna was born", Sara thinks: "Rain is not such a good sign". It reminded me of the fact that all of us associate certain events with everyday happenings and that all of us think differently.

4. The ending. I did not really expect it and I was a bit agitated and heart broken. But after reading through the author's explaination for this and also pondering over it a bit I thought that the way the book ended was probably the best thing to do and I began to appreciate it.

The book made me think about the dilemma that the family faces and what I would have done in their shoes. It is a really hard question to address and I sincerely hope and wish that neither I nor anyone else is ever in such a situation.

Life is full of choices. Sometimes, as the author says in the book, "No matter what choice we make: We lose". But we do have to make these choices and hope that our decision is right and pray for the best. Life goes on no matter what and we should treasure the small pleasures we get every day and not worry about what we have lost but cherish what we have.
posted by BUS @ 10:07 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 2:20 PM, March 18, 2005, Blogger RS said…

    Interesting, I would suggest that you read "The choice" by Henry Denker. Not exactly on similar lines but that book also deals with parents coping with the loss of their daughter, its actually much more than that, read it!

     
  • At 3:40 PM, March 18, 2005, Blogger kamal said…

    periya aalu nee, 2 blogs, 1 book.
    I think I will have to kalkify at this competition.

    Current status is
    Bus: 2 blogs.
    Kamal: 0
    Chubs: -5

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: BUS
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

BLOGGER